Husband pressure

First, your husband’s lawyer only represents his interests, not yours. His lawyer cannot give you legal advice, so you should get your own lawyer so that you have someone to act as an advocate for your interests.

Second, do not sign anything to which you do not agree! Once you’ve signed it, you’re going to be stuck with it. Be sure that you agree with everything in the agreement before you sign it. He cannot force you to sign the agreement.

Third, it sounds like you have a lot of unresolved issues that will affect this agreement. You should consult an attorney in your area to talk about the specifics of your case, before you sign anything.

Good luck!

Shonnese D. Stanback
Attorney
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax
NCdivorce.com
email: sstanback@rosen.com

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Yes I am currently trying to seek help… Husband of 17 years is pressuring me to go and sign seperation papers… He came to the house to discuss what he was going to pay and now in some of it like he is going back on what he said. Now he has made an appt for me to meet him at his lawyers office to sign papers and have his lawyer esplain to me what I am entitled to. He is retired Marine and I believe I have read it that seeing we went pass the 10 year mark in marriage that I rate half his retirement and he claims his attorney is going by what he thinks it is…My husbands name and mine is on the rental lease agreement but electric is in his name… When he left the kids and I in October he failed to pay the bills up to now and I am receiving late notices for his lack of responsilbitity as a husband…I have been a homemaker for 17 years and I am currently looking ofr employment which he said he would help out with bills till I got on my feet. Helppppppppppp
I do not want to sign nothing till I know what I am legally getting…
Thank you.