Yes, you can draft your own separation agreement. It will be binding if both parties sign and notarize the document. However, I do recommend that you have a lawyer review the document before you present it to your husband.

Good luck,

Shonnese D. Stanback
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I have not yet separated, but I plan to by the 13th of this month. I have a place rented. My husband and I have been married 14 years and I plan to give him the land and mobile home. I have typed my own separation papers and plan to leave them at the home when I leave. Is it legal for me to do my own separation papers? I used my papers from my first marriage.