I do not want to divorce

Dear pf99:

Greetings. It is never a happy situation when only one spouse wants to end the marriage. In the event that she wants to obtain a divorce, your wife has two options to start the separation if you do not agree to leave the marital residence:

  1. She may file for Divorce from Bed and Board and ask the court to remove you from the marital residence. She will have to allege that you performed some fault though.

  2. She will have to move out.

You do not have to leave your home. In the event that you come home and the locks are changed one evening after work, contact the Sheriff to help you return to your home. Best of luck!

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My wife says she has