I moved out 9 months ago...now my wife is dating

We do not have a legal separation…nor was there an explicit indication that our physical separation should become permanent. She is hiding her dating from me but I’m 99% sure of it. Is there any value to me proving she’s dating someone else…especially since, if we were to divorce, I am looking at a huge alimony payment since I’ve made 99% of the money in our 18+ year marriage. Would a judge factor her dating into an alimony decision? What evidence of her dating would I need to obtain to help my case and lower my future alimony payments?

Your wife dating during separation will affect alimony only if you have evidence of her committing an act of illicit sexual behavior during the marriage (between the date of marriage and date of separation). The act of dating now, during separation, can be used to corroborate an act or acts of illicit sexual behavior during the marriage. Otherwise, her dating now will have no bearing on alimony.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.