Immigrant requestin child support


Dear valekkah00:

Greetings. My advice is that she go to the North Carolina Child Support enforcement and request child support. She does not have to be a legal citizen of the United States to get child support. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I am trying to help a friend to get child support from her husband. She is an immigrant from Mexico, she is not here legally, her baby is about 10 months old (he was born here in NC); and her husband is a legal resident alien. Her husband has been committing adultery for some time, we have proof. She has left him but she has no way of working and support herself or her kid, as of now her mother in law is supporting her and her baby. Her husband says he will give her money but he never actually does. He also has gone and seen a lawyer to get a divorce but the lawyer told him that he had to be about a year separated before filing for a divorce.
I am just trying to help this lady because her husband treats her like he can do anything to her because she does not the laws here.
He owns his own property and house and car, no payments.
What can i do to help this lady?
Any advise will be appreciate it.