International Child support

Dear Gsmom:

Greetings. What county does he live in? Also, I cannot help you register the order in the UK, unless wha tyou need is a certified copy. Finally, please let me remind you that if he does not pay, it is also a federal crime. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I need to register the UK order HERE in the US. I went to Wake county court house and tried to register it, but the clerk refused it because she didn’t know what to do with it. She suggested I get a lawyer, but EVERY lawyer I have contacted has refused to help. I have found that under the UEFJA and REMO the order can be registered and enforced through NC courts. I am getting increasingly frustrated. Wake county CSE has had my case since April and have done NOTHING. They claim to be unable to locate him despite having his fathers, mothers and his last known address.

I am now owed more than $10,000 in child support dating back to 2002. I spent thousands of dollars and ALL of 2003 flying back and forth to the UK, he was again ordered to pay, but continues to ignore the court orders. Due to medical reasons I am not able to pursue this through the UK courts. I have found similar case law, but no lawyer will help.

You mentioned federal actions, but I can find nothing to help me in this area either. PLEASE HELP!!!

Dear Gsmom:

Greetings. Did you contact us and we refused to help you register a foreign order? I have a difficult time believing that, but maybe I misunderstand you.

As far as federal action, you would need to contact the United States Attorney’s office, criminal division, to speak with them about pursuing the action. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I had contacted you back in Spetember 2005 and received a response from jlsawyer and was told to go through the local agency. The case has been with them for a year and they have done nothing. I have given them several contact addresses for him in the UK (all of which I can reach him at), but they tell me they are unable to locate him, so I have attempted to register the order myself, but was given the run around at the courthouse. I am at a complete lost and would really appreciate some help. He now owes me in excess of $15,000.

I am having the worst luck trying to get child support from my daughters father. I have a UK child support order from December 2001, which was due to come into effect February 2002, when I moved to the US. He paid support Febraury and March 2002, but not one penny since. I spent thousands of dollars flying back and forth to court in the UK to enforce the order, but despite more orders and threats of jailtime from the judge, he continues to not pay.

It is my understanding that NC has enacted the Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgements Act, which covers this court order, but none of the lawyers I contact will help me. I filed with Child Support Enforcement in Wake County, but they have done nothing with the case in 8 months. He now owes me over $10,000. A friend told me I will be at the back of the queue at CSE unless I receive state assistance\welfare.

The job he has in the UK pays substantially more than I get paid here and also requires he keep an immaculate credit record - no judgements or debts, he could also lose the job if they find out he is not paying child support. I have refrained from notifying his employer, because obviously I prefer he be working so he can pay me.

I downloaded the forms to begin filing myself, but the process is confusing. I need help registering the UK court order, filing the motion to show cause and also, filing for custody as there was never an order entered. I want to change my daughters last name as she gets upset that her name differs from that of her brothers (from my current relationship). She has no established relationship with her father that would suffer from the name change. He refuses to sign the request for name change. I am losing confidence in the legal system since no one will help me. Even if only to help fill out the forms and how to file. I have a brief background in business law, and it has helped to a point…