Is audio taping illegal?

I have found a audio/video camcorder hidden in one of my plants by my husband. I was able to play back the video and hear conversations. Is this illegal since I was not aware of it and my husband was not the person I was talking to? My spouse has purchased several hidden cameras, a hidden GPS, a PI and now this camcorder. I think his latest gadget will be the one I can use against him. Please advise.

Thank you.

I am not a criminal attorney, but for a recording of a conversation to be admissible as evidence, at least one person in the conversation must have consented to the recording. This leads me to believe that your husband may be violating some law, so you may want to contact a law enforcement officer to discuss this further and see if you want to bring charges against him.

If he was not present during the conversation then it is illegal.

Example 1) You are being recorded without your knowledge talking to someone but the person recording was not present during the conversation. – Illegal

Example 2) You are being recorded with or without your knowledge talking to someone but the person recording was present (even if they didn’t speak) – legal

Example 3) You are being recorded with or without your knowledge by someone you are talking to. – legal