Judge acting in plaintiffs behalf?

Go to Legal Aid. Do NOT depend on the judge to help you. In some cases, a judge might help a pro-se litigant, but you cannot depend on it. It depends on the judge and most judges have certain lawyers that they favor—that’s just the plain truth and how our system does not work.

Dear nph1943:

Greetings. The judge cannot represent you. An attorney can always help their client - that is their job. The judge will try to be impartial, but you may not be able to out negotiate/argue an attorney. I wish you the best. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I had a court date today for Judicial Settlement Conference in Family Financial Case (which was postponed). My husband of 37 years thinks he doesn’t have to pay me alimony or post separation support. He has an attorney, and I don’t now as my funds ran out. The woman at the courthouse said the judge would act in my behalf. Is this possible. Seems to me that he wouldn’t not be able to do that fairly. I desparately need some representation. I’m on disability and don’t get much ss to live on. Should I trust that the judge will be fair in my behalf or could my husbands attorney turn this around for him. Help please.