Legal Advice on Alienation of Affection

I just answered this post. Please see my other answer. Thanks

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I live in Columbia, SC. I have lived with my girlfriend of 5 years for 2 years in a home we own together. In SC we are considered common law husband and wife.
My girlfriend had been morning the loss of her father when an old male friend, who lives in Charlotte, NC, contacted her. He recognized her depression and mental state and used the situation by telling her he had experienced the same thing with his father. None of this was true but he made her beleive he could help her get through it as a “special friend”. He convinced her to keep the friendship a secret from me because I knew of him from years ago when he had tried to break us up. Once he had her to a point of making secretive calls and visits to him he turned the tables and began blackmailing her with it, including physical threats. She felt obligated to keep the “friendship” going to prevent him from telling me and or harming me. The whole situation happened over a very intense 6 weeks or so. The reason it ended was he sexually assaulted her thinking his threats would keep her from telling me, which it did not.
Obviously, this has caused great emotional harm to our relationship, to me and to her as well, she is in weekly counseling and we go together once every two weeks for couples therapy.

My question - Would North Carolina’s laws regarding Alienation of Affections provide some recourse for me in this case? If so, what is the first step to take?

Thanks for any help