Legal seperation in North Carolina

I also have three children, the house is a lease to own. He took the car I was driving the reliable one, and I drove the broke down car. Now it’s really broke down I have bad credit and can’t get another one. Can I get the car back from him?

shante anderson

Dear Shante,

In North Carolina, once you and your husband are no longer living in the same house, and at least one of you intends for the separation to be permanent, you are legally separated. You do not need a document that says so. However, if you need child support, you should probably contact your local child support enforcement office for assistance. It really depends on your individual county office on how long that might take. You should also talk to a lawyer about helping you get spousal support, and possession of the vehicle. Unless he agrees to give you the other car, you may need to take him to court.

Good luck,

Shonnese D. Stanback
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I want a legal seperation from my husband. He supports the household, I work part time and I attend school. What do I do. How long does it take to receive any support from him?

shante anderson