Legal Status & Rights

Dear Shazia007,

I do not practice immigration law and am not qualified to advise you as to your legal status issues. I would advise you to consult with a licensed immigration atttorney so that you may get all legal protections you are entitled to. If you are dependent on your spouse you will have a claim for alimony, however given the relatively short length of your marriage it is not a given that the court would award you alimony.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Hi!
Iwas married in April 2006 in Pakistan and came to U.S.A. in May on my visit visa. My husband filed my immigration forms in October although he lied and told me he did it in end August. In the first place what I dont understand is why didn’t he do it as soon as I entered the country. He did not hire a lawyer for he did not want to spend the money on the fee. He bought a house in Matthews and we moved here about a month back. Ever since we have been married I have been treated rudely by him which he himself admitted that he has said a lot of things to me which he should not have and that he hasnt tried his level best whereas I on the other hand have. There are lot of things which have gone wrong in this marriage. I need to know if we divorce now what my legal status and rights would be in terms of my immigration and also what would I be entitled to? I dont have a work permit till now so I cant work and am dependent upon him.
Regards,
Shaz

shaz