Living Arrangements with Children and Adults

Ok, I am new and I am hoping that I have put this in the right spot. If I have not, please forgive me.

Are there any laws or regulations in regards to how many people can reside in one house and who can share bedrooms?

To be more specific, this is in reference to my stepson who is on the high side of the Autism spectrum. His father has convinced him over the past 2 weeks to come and live with him.

I am trying to get my wife and I into court as soon as possible to get a court ordered custody agreement in place, since up until now there has not been one.

My concern, outside of the normal, is that he is moving into a 1900sqft. house that is 4 bedroom and 2 bath.

Currently the is:

  • Dad & Girlfriend
  • Dad’s Mother (85)
  • Dad’s Sister (51)
  • Girlfriend’s Son (25) - Mentally Handicapped
  • Girlfriend’s Son (23) - Autistic
  • Girlfriend’s Daughter (20)
  • Stepson (14) - Autistic

The report I get from the other 2 kids that visit is that stepson and Girlfriend’s son (23 - Autistic) are sharing a bedroom. Dad’s mother & Sister each have a bedroom, and the final room is shared by the 2 adult children. Dad & Girlfriend are using the open unfinished basement as their bedroom.

Outside of this just being a messy situation, is there any legal standing that would prohibit this living situation?

There are no laws or rules that would prohibit this amount of people from living in one home as it relates to family law, however, if such an environment is unhealthy or unsafe or poses a substantial risk to a minor child, etc., then you would have an argument at a custody trial.

A judge will be concerned about anything or any action which is not in the best interest of a minor child or with any parent that takes or does not take any action that is not in the best interest of a minor child.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Thank you so much for taking thentime to answer .my questions.