Lying in the Divorce Complaint

Is she asking for alimony? He could reply to the complaint that there is incorrect information and therefore not legal or accurate. I’m not sure what this information would affect other than alimony and possibly for him to pay more in child support.

She has asked for divorce from bed and board, spousal support, permanant alimony, custody, and attorney’s fees.

The point is, she swore under oath that what she said was true. The question is, is her lying punishable?

My friend is trying to garner all the facts for everything. This is an ugly divorce. The soon to be ex has a history of mental problems as well as drug and alcohol abuse. She has already committed a couple of no nos in this matter.

Unfortunately, my friend has to have a strong case because he wants to get his child. He does not want her being raised by her mother…and can you really blame him.

I’m uncertain what can be done about purjury.

I do know that it takes a lot to win primary custody from one parent if that parent is willing to put up a fight and/or willing to share custody. I can tell you that he will have a terrible fight if he is trying to prove her unfit. It can be done, but it would be easier if he would agree to joint custody and equal time. I understand why he would not want her mother to have custody, but I am simply stating what I know to be the case in most instances. Most of the time the parent that has primarily cared for the child and has primary custody during separation is the one who ends up with primary custody…

The child support can be based on an imputed income to her depending on the age of the child. If the child is old enough to be in school and the parent is capable of working and choosing not to do so then the courts will impute minimum wage, 40 hour week income to her in the calculations. Meaning that she either works or the courts will assume that she can and chooses not to.

This will make a difference in alimony also…whether or not she CAN work and is choosing not to. Divorce from Bed & Board is a formality for the most part. Spousal support would paid be during the time before the divorce when alimony would take over.

Well, that is the question. Is that considered perjury?

I am not as worried about the other. My friend knows it is an uphill battle, and has resigned himself to that fact.

He should file a formal answer to the complaint, when he answers the complaint he has the option to admit or deny the allegations in the complaint.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

A friend of mine is going through a divorce. His wife filed and in the complaint claimed that she has not been employed and has been a stay at home mom since the birth of their minor child. In reality, she has held 6 jobs in difference states since 2000 (the year the child was born) and my friend has the W2s and Tax Returns to prove it (in fact, one job, was full time from 2005-2006).

Is there anything that can be done? Are there any legal repercussions to lying under oath in a court filing?