Maiden name usage


Many people resume the use of their maiden name even before the Court grants an order to do so. Yes, until you make the request in the divorce complaint to resume your maiden name, on legal documents you should still sign your married name.

Deborah M. Throm
Rosen Law Firm
1829 E. Franklin Street, Bldg. 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.265.0017 direct
919.321.0780 main voice

4101 Lake Boone Trail
Suite 500
Raleigh, NC 27607
919.256.1544 direct
919.787.6668 main voice

301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
704.644.2531 ext. 100


If I were to revert back to my maiden name during a divorce, is it still permissible to use my married name in certain circumstances?

Or, on the other hand, if I retained my married name, could I legally use my maiden name on any documents OR just start using my maiden name without the paperwork?

Ideally I’ve like to legally revert back to my maiden name, but during a transition period still my current name for business purposes. When I sign official documents, would either suffice? Would I need to change any deeds/legal documents?