Names after divorce

On legal documents such as deeds, contracts… you should sign your legal name at the time of signing. So, sign your married name on such documents up until the judgment of divorce (with your maiden name) has been entered. In the meantime or if you decide not to revert back to your maiden name legally, you can sign your maiden name where there will be no recording or title problems.

Deborah M. Throm
Rosen Law Firm
1829 E. Franklin Street, Bldg. 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.265.0017 direct
919.321.0780 main voice

4101 Lake Boone Trail
Suite 500
Raleigh, NC 27607
919.256.1544 direct
919.787.6668 main voice

301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
704.644.2531 ext. 100

I’ve seen variations of this question, and yes, I already know how to change my name during a divorce.

My question - if I DO revert to maiden name during divorce, is it still permissible to maintain the married name in certain circumstances, such as on deeds/titles or for business reasons? Could I sign either name and it be valid?

OR, if not reverting to maiden name legally, in what circumstances can I use my maiden name?