Marriage records and divorce


Dear JohnDoe:

Greetings. Yes, you can go to the county where the marriage license was received and they are on public record. As far as I know, there is not a repository for marriage records.

Yes, you can find the forms for divorce on our website (look under the “tools and resources” section on the homepage. Remember that some claims, such as alimony and equitable distribution, are completely lost when the divorce occurs, so you may want to speak with an attorney at least prior to filing the documents. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I have 2 questions:
1.Is there anywhere one can access public records about an individual’s marital history? This is because am suspicious my relative’s husband did not fully dissolve a past marriage.

2.Can one complete their own divorce application and where can the necessary forms be found? How long does it take from filing to adjudication of divorce if the divorce is not contested (all issues have been resolved by the spouses)?