Mediation

I am scheduled to go to mediation next week. A forensic accountant will attend the meeting in order to give her oral report. After she gives the oral report, I and my ex will be expected to then mediate. How can either of us even begin to mediate until we have had some time to digest what the accountant’s report says, ask pertinent questions and help clarify possible incorrect information? Doesn’t it seem to you that we should be given time to go over our notes from her oral report and prepare questions, if necessary, to clarify information before we attempt to mediate? It seems to me that it would not be unreasonable to ask for the oral report to be typed up and a transcript provided to both parties before meeting for mediation. I can’t believe that this is normal procedure. Thanking you in advance.

If you are uncomfortable attempting to reach an agreement after just having received new financial information, you may ask the other side to reschedule, if however you are court ordered to complete mediation by a certain date you will have to do the best you can with what you have. At the end of the day, you do not have to agree to anything.