Mediation

My husband & I are beginning the process of separation/divorce. We’ve spoken to a financial advisor who has advised us mediation is the best, most cost-effective way to go. My hesitation is whether or not my needs will be addressed & my rights will be protected. We’ve been married for nearly 18 yrs. & have 3 children & I have been a stay-at-home mom for 10 + years. I understand child support will be guaranteed, however alimony is not. We’d like to do this amicably, but I can not trust my husband to look after my best interests (hence part of the reason we’re at this point in our lives). Can I trust the mediation process to protect my interests or seek an attorney?

You should start by having a consultation with an attorney in your area to discuss your case and your options for how to proceed. I would also advise that you obtain an attorney to represent you for the mediation. The mediator’s job is to help the parties reach a resolution. While he/she will help you relay your desires to your husband, an attorney in the mediation with you will be looking out for your best interests.