Motion to Show cause


Dear Amma:

No, you do not. However, a Motion to Show Cause is used to enforce a previously entered Order of the Court. If you want to change an order, and if it’s allowable, you have to file to Motion to Modify (for which you also do not require an attorney)

Ketan P. Soni
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


Do you have to hire an attorney to file a motion to “Show Cause” to change an order of the court??