Moving my kids

In this type of situation you are basically forced to get the court involved. You can sue for custody which will temporarily prevent your wife from taking your child out of the state. Your goal would be to get a custody order for “visitation” that could prevent her from taking your child to Atlanta.

I feel for you. This is a nightmare. None of this will be easy or cheap. You can attempt to do this yourself or hire a lawyer. The threat or beginning of a law suit can sometimes force a settlement and avoid some of the pain and some of the expense. But now is a time for action. I wish you the best. Good luck.

Richard “Bert” Diener
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1535 direct voice
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My wife and I have been seperated for close to a year now but neither one of us has taken any legal action. We have worked out child support and visitation between us to save drama and money. Now she has informed me that she needs to move to Atlanta because of her job. According to her my choices are either to relocate to Atlanta or meet her half way, every other weekend to see the kids. Neither of these options are acceptable to me. Does anyone know what my rights are in this situation and what steps I can take to ensure that this doesn’t happen? Thank you for any help you can offer.