Moving my kids

Dear Wood:

Greetings. Yes, you have RIGHTS. You should immediately file a custody action asking that the children remain in North Carolina. If you have the children about half of the time, you have a good reason why the children should live here. Not only will you pay more child support if they move to Georgia, but you will also have to pay travel costs.

Finally, note that if you file for child custody, you need to be prepared to have full custody of your children. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I have been seperated from my wife for close to a year now but neither of us has made any moves legally. We have just been living in seperate residences. As far as our 2 children (ages 3 & 4) and visitation, we have just worked it out on a weekly basis depending on our schedules. I work at night so I spend time with them during the day while she is at work and it has worked out pretty nicely so far. Now she tells me that she has to move to Atlanta because of her job and I can either relocate to Atlanta or meet her half way every other weekend to see the kids. I don’t want to go to Atl. and I certainly don’t want to live 8 hrs. away from my kids. Does anyone know what my right are as far as this goes and what steps I need to take to ensure this doesn’t happen?