Moving with children-follow up question

I would notify him in writing, but there is no official form you need to file. He could try and seek an emergency order to keep you from moving with the children, but it is unlikely it would be granted given the fact that the custodial schedule does not need to change.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Thank you so much for your help. A followup queston, do I need to provide any sort of official notice that I plan to move, like a certified letter or something, or can I just tell him of my plans? Also, could he keep me from moving if he was angry (I have no idea what his reaction will be)? I’m reluctant to turn in my notice at my current job and accept the new job if there’s some way he can keep me from moving with the kids and then I’d be unemployed.


Original post:
Is there a limit to the distance within NC that a custodial parent may move without it constituting a change of circumstances? I have custody of the children, and their father lives 45 miles away, a consequnece of his choice to remarry and move away. If I now want to relocate within the state, and move 150 miles away from their father, what would I need to do? Is there a requirement that I give him some kind of official notice for that kind of thing? And would it constitute a change of circumstances that could re-open the visitation arrangement? He currently has every other weekend, and the move would not necessarily require that the schedule be changed, but the travel distance would obviously be longer between our houses. I would be relocating to take a better job and to move closer to my family.

Thanks for any help or advice!