My ex use drugs and son finds needles and wants to leave


My child resides in NC with his mother in which we never had a custody battle and I reside in NJ. My son is 17yrs old of age and is telling me that he’s finding drugs and needles in the house and no longer wants to reside in NC with the mother if he leaves to come here 1st question can he do that? 2nd will I get in trouble if he does it?


If there is no court order or agreement in place there is nothing your ex can do to prevent your child from moving in with you, except sue you for child custody. Given your child’s age, and the circumstances regarding why he is leaving, you’d be able to make a strong case to maintain custody should your ex in fact sue you for custody.