Need some advice



Greetings. First, you are legally separated on the date that you and your spouse stop living together and one of you intends for the separation to be permanent. You do not need a “paper” to be separated.

No, leaving the marital residence does not automatically entitle the other spouse to everything. I do have a question though…if it is not safe for you, how will it be safe for your children? You may want to investigate domestic violence as an option. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


hello, can i go ahead and do a self separation paper in NC. I dont have money to hire a lawyer but wanted a separation from my husband, can I draft it myself from an online source and file it myself. Also if I leave is he entitled to everything?? I feel it safer for me to leave and leave him with everything including the kids. Thanks