New info after separation signed

Dear Anjele:

Greetings. I am sorry to hear about the division taking place in your family. It sounds to me like your parents are unfairly placing you in the middle. As far as the separation agreement, it is generally completed upon signing with a notary and cannot be amended except by agreement of the parties. Nevertheless, have your father meet with an attorney about the separation agreement. He may have additional rights and responsibilities which he is not taking care of.

I know this is hard, but as I always tell my clients, they can worry about the emotional stuff and let me worry about the legal aspects. That is what makes attorneys so useful. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My parents recently signed separation papers. The divorce is my mother’s idea and my father has offered numerous times to do whatever it takes to salvage the marriage. She has beaten him down emotionally and convinced him that nothing will save the marriage. He became severely depressed and signed the papers. Three days later he found out that she has been having an affair. Now the papers are signed, essentially leaving him with nothing. Does he have any recourse? Or is he stuck even though there was pertinent information he did not have at the time of signing?

Angie Jeffcoat