Next Step?


I had a lawyer draft a complaint for absolute divorce. She will file the complaint in Wake County on my behalf and I will serve my ex via certified mail. Will I receive a court date from Wake County? Or do I have to figure out my own court date and just go in the first Friday after the 30 days has passed? Do I have to file a motion for summary judgement or do I just show up? I will be doing everything else without a lawyer and I am unsure what the next steps will be.


If your attorney is not handling that aspect of the case for you, you will need to contact the clerk for a court date 30 days after the date your ex is served. You can file a motion for summary judgement if your ex does not respond and contest any of the allegations in the complaint, or you may simply set the matter for hearing.