Not Married with Child


We are NOT married but have a child and are splitting up. I have been unemployed for a year and a half so this presents a serious blow to me. I cannot afford to retain an attorney to handle custody and child support issues, or any other issue for that matter. Our situation is a little complicated and I need serious advice. I realize that divorce laws can’t be applied in my case because we are not legally married, but is there any other protection available for me and my son? Where can I go to get help since this is not a “divorce” situation?


You will be entitled to child support, and perhaps attorney’s fees. You may want to contact legal aid to see if they can help you with your custody case, and DSS can help with child support.