Oldest Child Aging Out of Child Support

My ex wife and I agreed in a separation agreement that was later rolled into our divorce decree that I would pay child support in the amount of $1600 per month on our two boys until they turned 21. My oldest son turns 21 in June. It was also agreed upon in the agreement that child support payments for my oldest son would end in June and then I would pay $800 per month going forward for my youngest son until he turns 21. I pay child support directly to my ex wife. Is there anything else I need to do or should I simply follow this agreement as agreed upon and ordered.

If the agreement is clear that the $1,600 obligation ends with the June payment and $800 begins each month thereafter, then there is nothing else you need to do.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.