Oriention for Mediation was a great experience!

Bitterness is inevitable. Divorce sucks and legal battles suck even more. BUT bitterness RARELY solves anything legally other than making you miserable and making everyone you’re involved with miserable. It’s just a waste of time.

I’m hoping the best for you and your situation. [:D]

That’s exactly what we figured out when my husband and his ex went to mediation. Though we did not break many of the rules due to some good advice from some others, his ex did and still does to some extent. We figured out that the children have the right to love and be with each parent and that we should not put them in the position to have to choose between their parents. Sort of putting in the child’s perspective makes a difference.

Good luck to you and I hope your ex learns that custody is not the way to get back at you for the things that went wrong in your marriage or any other perceived wrongs.

I am glad you found mediation to be a positive experience.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Wow, my ex having me summonsed for custody and having to attend mandatory Orientation/Mediation was the best thing he could have done. You walk into a court room setting and they mediators tare into all the bitter angry parents. First things first, our children did not ask to come into this situation. They informed us that how we act toward each other is how our children will grow up to act. Anyway, my ex and I break most of the rules that you aren’t supposed to as to how we treat each other. I hope he realizes and admits this as well when we have our “official” mediation. I have lil’ hope though because of his threats to have his lawyer “plumet” me. I hope that these angry hateful years will end soon. I want a better way to live. I want a better future for our child than this. I am going to try to be more flexiable also. Wish us luck.