Phone Access


“Reasonable” and “unlimted” sound inconsistent and it’s hard to know what a judge would do with these terms. The solution is to seek to have the other parent held in contempt and have the judge better explain what is meant by the order. Of course, exhaust all efforts to have a reasonable negotiation before moving on the contempt issue. Good luck.

Lee S. Rosen
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I have a NC custody order that says we are to allow reasonable unlimited phone contact between the children and the other parent. My ex has blocked my home phone and cell, so the children cannot call me. What can I do to resolve this? If he makes up an excuse like “they can call you, they just have to ask for me to take the block off first”, will that be allowed by the court?