Potential violence

I live in Charlotte if that has any bearing and we have been married 3 years. :frowning:

Dear Concerned,

I suggest you contact an attorney to begin drafting a separation agreement. If he is concerned about an abandonment claim, you should talk to an attorney about having a Non-Abandonment Agreement drafted. That way you can get him to leave, and abandonment is no longer an issue. Perhaps that will get him to move out of the house a little sooner. Otherwise, changing the locks while you’re both still living in the house probably won’t work.

If your husband is threatening you with serious bodily harm, or has assaulted you in any way, you need to contact local law enforcement immediately! One of your options at that point would be to file a complaint for a domestic violence protective order.

Be safe and best wishes,

Shonnese D. Stanback
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax
email: sstanback@rosen.com

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My husband and I are living in the same house which I own and he is not taking my divorce request well. He will not move out and is seeing a councillor and is now on medication. My guess is he wont move out because someone has told him that would be abandonement and could effect his rights. He is exhibiting alot of weird behavior. He follows me around and watches me sleep and asks me to do certain intimate things and then gets enraged when I ask not to. I am becoming concerned that he might harm me. What are my rights and can I change my locks?