Premartial property

It is possible for you to get some of that money back if you pursued this matter in court. You would need to argue that you used marital funds to contribute to his separate debt. Otherwise, you may want to have a separation agreement drawn up where he agrees to pay you back for your contribution to his separate property.

Take care!

Shonnese D. Stanback
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My husband signed a contract to purchase our house prior to our marriage. It is deeded to him and his mother. I have made several of the morgage payment and paid for renovations. We were only married for 7 months and now separated. But I lived in the residence and contributed to the morgage for 2 years. Can I get any money back on the house at the divorce?

J.M. Billing