Property distribution


Dear plstam:

Greetings. First, it is my opinion that you need a full financial and legal review…which would include valuing your pensions, valuing any retirement accounts she has, etc.

If alimony is incorporated in the property settlement, then I am not sure what you are asking. If you already have a final, signed agreement, it cannot be modified unless by agreement of the parties - which she will not do.

If you do not have a separation agreement, you are back to creating a financial and legal review prior to taking any subsequent action.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I am retired and receive a pension of approx. $2,000/mo and my wife works and makes approx. $2500/mo. Alimony is incorparated into the property settlement. She is trying to get about half of my pension which could be $900 added to her salary which equals to $3,400/mo. Then she retires and her pension is $1,000/mo plus the $900/mo which equals to $1,900/mo. To me that is unfair and it makes her the supporting spouse. What is it that I can do to settle this? My total pension is about half of our assets…Thank you for your help.