Prorating Child Support


My fiancé’s daughter turned 18 yrs old on 12/26/16. She graduated early - exams finished and she received her diploma on 01/20/17. The child support agreement was my fiancé paid child support until his daughter turned 18 or graduated from high school.

Question: Can he prorate the child support for January which wound be close to $500 difference. . She doesn’t see a dime of it anyway. Pays for all her own groceries, school lunches, etc.

Thanks, in advance.


No, child support payments cannot be prorated unless the court order or separation agreement allows for a prorated payment in this instance.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.