Dear Wendy:

Greetings. PTSD is a tragic disorder, which is often misunderstood and difficult to live with. I can understand your need to separate and find some peace. You should meet with an attorney and have them draft up a separation agreement. You should do this before you take any other steps.

The children will likely visit the parent who is not the primary care provider, but without knowing your county, living situations, etc., I cannot tell you who will get the house and children.

Finally, the house will either be refinanced by one party for them to remain in the home or it will be sold. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I have am marrried a man that has PTSD. I can not take it anymore. There are two kids in the home. Along with PTSD coming the that he can remember things and once he starts something he can’t complete the task. Now, I want a divorce. What steps to I need to take? Who gets the house? What about the kids?

Please help