Quit Claim

left marital home 2 months ago after 3 years of doom and gloom. Husband is preparing for the world’s end in 2012, refuses work (contractor, and he’s been offered jobs he turns down) just sits and listens to a controversial tv preacher. Every day I was greeted with another headline and a lecture about how the world is going into chaos this day and that day. He has barrels of food and water stored, demeans me calling himself God’s elect, won’t leave property often because he needs to ‘guard it.’ My health has suffered and every time I spoke up he told me, “If you don’t like it, leave.” Now he claims abandonment and says I am to be served with papers as he wants me to sign a quit claim. Problem is my name is on the mortgage also and he won’t work. He has however sold almost everything out of the house including my personal belongings. Can I be forced to sign a quit claim and still owe on this house? Is leaving for my wellbeing abandonment? I am on antidepressants and anxiety medications and have been hospitalized for chest pains before leaving. What could these papers he says he’s serving me with possible be? We won’t be able to get divorce until next December, 1 year from when I escaped. I have also been held there against my will. I feared for my safety. I don’t mind giving up the house, but I won’t be responsible to pay for it as he is shopping for wife number 7 right now. I do work but my company is moving and I only have 2 months of work left and I will be unemployed. I also need to have 2 surgeries, things he didn’t want me to have because the ‘world is ending.’

You cannot be forced to sign a quit claim and I would not recommend you doing so.

A quit claim does not remove your obligation to the loan. Basically you will no longer be on the deed but will still be held accountable for the mortgage.

I do not think you would be found guilty of abandonment. From what I understand abandonment must be very severe for it to weigh against you.

He can’t force you sign a quit claim deed, nor should you unless it is part of a negotiated property settlement.