Read my email

Dear Stephen:

Greetings. First, let me tell you that cyber sex does not specifically fall under the definition of “illicit sexual behavior” in the definitions of alimony, so I doubt that it will greatly affect your alimony issues. Not to mention that if she looked at it months ago and stayed with you, that she has condonned the activity.

Next, you may be able to go to court and file a divorce from bed and board action, and get a restraining order against her from spreading this information.

It is not slander or libel, because it is true, and therefore is not actionable.

Finally, she may have committed criminal activity by accessing your e-mail account without your permission. Best of luck with this situation.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My wife says that over a year ago she got into my private hotmail account and read some correspondence that took place between me and an individual or individuals of a sexual nature. I admit that the correspondence took place but It was just cybersex for lack of a better word. The person involved was actually overseas. I’ve never met them and havent corresponded with them in at least that long. Why she waited til now to bring it up I have no idea, I thought everything was fine. Well, to make a long story short, she forwarded all the emails to herself and made copies and says she has given them to a lawyer and if I dont do everything she wants, as far as the divorce, that she will tell everyone about them. Can she blackmail me like this legally? Does this make any difference, I dont know exactly what to do. Is it legal for someone to read email and print it? By the way I have found out since this happened that she told her parents this info and her parents are telling this around town. Is this defamation of character? Please, someone, I need some legal advice. I’m being ruined and am not guilty of anything except typing.

My husband read my emails on personal, secret Yahoo accounts. I might pursue this, but my question pertains to his threat to tell his family, my children, and social contacts about my cyber activity. He said he would reveal my activity to everyone unless I signed a separation agreement. This agreement included taking over 300,000 from my retirement accounts.

Is this in fact extortion? If so, how should I proceed in reporting this crime? I don’t want to use his blackmail as a threat in negotiations. I’m done with family court. I just want him punished for his criminal behavior. Is this a matter to report to local police, the DA, or the State Bureau of Investigation?

You should start by making a report to your local law enforcement agency (police or sheriff’s office). They will investigate it and pursue the appropriate actions or refer to the appropriate agency.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.