Reappointment of Parental Coordinator

My ex and I agreed voluntarily to a parental coordinator during our court proceedings. The parental coordinator order expired a few months ago. My ex is taking me to court to have a parental coordinator reappointed by the judge. I do not agree to have one reappointed.

My read of NC GS 50-90 is that it specifies that a parental coordinator can only be appointed by a judge if there is an ongoing custody action.

Custody has been settled since mid-2008.

Also, the kids are doing fine academically, they have a clean bill of mental health from two psychologists (wish I could say the same about the ex…), they are unaware of the ex’s constant harassment, and their day-to-day lives are stable and happy.

So, do I have to be concerned about having a judge rule that a PC is necessary by order?

Until the children turn 18 the court still has ongoing jurisdiction of the matter unless and until NC is no longer the home state of the children. If the court deems it necessary a parenting coordinator can be appointed.

I am interested in your experience with a Parent Coordinator. My ex is unstable as well and I just cannot work with him. Was the Parent Coordinator helpful?

My ex likes to play head-games and I just want to move forward with my life and focus on the things that I should focus on like my children. I feel we really need a third-party to facilitate communication when communication is necessary and set boundaries. Was your Coordinator helpful in this regard?

Hello,

To recap, I have been divorced since Jan 2009, custody was settled in summer 2008. We had a Parental Coordinator from July 2009 to July 2010.

Thanks.

OK, I understand that the court has jurisdiction if there is a custody action brought. But there isn’t. My ex just wants a new PC so she can harass me.

I don’t understand why, absent a new custody order or parenting plan, that the judge can appoint a PC.

The NCGS 50-91 says that i The court may appoint a parenting coordinator without the consent of the parties upon entry of a custody order other than an ex parte order, or upon entry of a parenting plan only if the court also makes specific findings that the action is a high‑conflict case, that the appointment of the parenting coordinator is in the best interests of any minor child in the case, and that the parties are able to pay for the cost of the parenting coordinator.[/i]

The statute seems to say that the Judge can appoint the PC only when there is a simultaneous entry of a custody order or parenting plan. There is no proposal to change the current custody, or to enter a new parenting plan. So, why would the Judge be able to reappoint a PC under these circumstances?

Thanks. I’m just trying to get on with my life without interference from my ex.

Upon motion of either party the court can appoint a PC if it finds that the appointment of the parenting coordinator is in the best interests of any minor child in the case, and that the parties are able to pay for the cost of the parenting coordinator.

Don’t get a PC. They get paid to deal with continuing minutia, which creates the space for continued conflict. It is not in their monetary interest to actually reduce conflict. They can make decisions on a whim and are not answerable, functionally, to anyone.