Relocation With Sole Custody (Legal and Physical)

If you move back to the state he may go to court to request more visitation. If you live close together the court may grant him that additional time with the child.

There is no way to plan for every contingency that may come up in the future regarding custody. It is possible that if you move back he may increase his visitation and object if you attempt to move again, unfortunately there is nothing you can do now that will prevent that from happening.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I got permission to move from the father of my child. I have been living with my husband and the minor child outside of NC for 2 years. We wanted to move back to NC as a temp. move how can I keep the visitaion the same as it is now with being in the same state. The visitation now is he gets him for a week in the summer and for Thanksgiving Break.

If we do move back to NC will I have to get permission again to move back out of the state or can he keep us from moving.