Removing spouse from deed before divorce papers are signed


My spouse and I have been separated for 1 yr and 5 months. In our separation agreement she agreed to let me have the house and I paid her bills for 14 months with half of the equity that was available in the home. So while I’m saving up the money to be able to file divorce papers is there anyway to remove her name from the deed of the house before I get divorce papers filed?


Yes, your wife can sign a quitclaim or special warranty deed, as specified in your separation agreement (this will need to be drafted by an attorney), and the signed deed will need to be recorded at the Register of Deeds office.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.