Respond to courts(attorney)


Dear sweetchunk:

Greetings. First, there is no way for her to obtain a division of his retirement accounts unless they have reserved the issues in a court action in North Carolina. He should immediately hire an attorney in Iowa. I do mean IMMEDIATELY!

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I have a friend that has been divorced for 8 years. He pays $750 for child support which is not court appointed. Now the ex-wife wants to take him to court for custody, visitation and she wants his retirement money. They were only married for maybe 5-6 years. He was served with papers from her attorney on a visit to Iowa to see the kids. He doesn’t have an attorney yet. How should he respond the letter. He has 20 days to respond.