Selling and Buying Before Separation

Dear Larry:

You alone will be responsible for the payments. What type of person tries to sell your vehicle out from under you? Do you even know yet whether or not you qualify for a new vehicle. Also, you may have to give your spouse the funds for your car (at least half).

Finally, why is he handling your finances if you are in the process of separating. You have a major issue here that you are not addressing…and that is your lack of control over the situation. Stop letting him drive your life and start making your own decisions and standing up for yourself. Thank you

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I am thinking about separating from my spouse and he is wanting to sell my car and buy a new one. My parents paid off my car before I was married. My husband put my car in the paper, without my knowledge and now someone has made an offer on it - $7,000. Is this a smart thing to do? Selling my car and then buying a new one? If I do sell it and we buy a new one, will I be totally responsible for the payments, or will he be responsible for half? Should I wait and sell my car after a separation and have the &7,000 to put towards a new one then. If I do this, will I be responsible for the payments on the car. If I sell the car now, he is talking about putting part of the & in a retirement for me and putting part down on a new car. What do you think about that? A response would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.