Separation agreement and international travel

First, you will need to put your custodial agreement in a court order and not in a Separation Agreement. You can do a consent order and enter it with the court and litigation will not be required. You will need to find out if the country she intends to visit is a signatory on the Hague Convention, if that country is, they will assist you in enforcing your custodial rights, if your Wife should take your child to that country and refuse to return. The Hague cannot help you if custody is not in a court order.

You may find out if her home country is a signatory on the Hague by looking at this website: … _1487.html

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My wife and I are starting to work on a separation agreement. She is a citizen of another country, has a passport from there, all of her family is there, etc. We have a young son. Although she has repeatedly indicated that she would never take him there and not come back - and I generally believe her, I’d never forgive myself if I didn’t put in some stipulations in the separation agreement and something happened.

What are reasonable provisions related to this for a separation agreement? I have seen others indicate that bonds may be required if she was to take him out of the country but I don’t feel comfortable with that since she doesn’t have much money and if she defaulted on it, who’s going to be responsible for helping me find and bring back my son?

I am thinking that I need something that is enforceable in both countries. Is this unusual/difficult to obtain or does it mostly depend on what the other country is? It is large country in S.A.

I currently have his passport and birth certificate and I know that she would need my signature to apply for new documents so I’m covered in the short term at least.