Separation, child support and leaving the country


Sorry for the delayed response. She should contact the child support enforcement office in her county of residence. If she has not consulted with an attorney yet to discuss custody and child support issues, that would also be a good thing to do. Hope this is helpful.

Deborah M. Throm
Rosen Law Firm
1829 E. Franklin Street, Bldg. 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.265.0017 direct
919.321.0780 main voice

4101 Lake Boone Trail
Suite 500
Raleigh, NC 27607
919.256.1544 direct
919.787.6668 main voice

301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
704.644.2531 ext. 100


My sister/brother in law are in the process of separating. They have spent the last 8 years in Venezuela as missionaries. They have 2 small children and are separating because of infidelity on the part of my brother in law. Sister has never worked outside the home, she has been a housewife and mother for the last 7 years. She has moved back to the states and is concerned about child support. She has gotten the kids a medical card (medicaid?) and has filled out some paperwork to begin child support. The concern is that brother in law is coming home tomorrow but may only be staying in the US for 2 weeks. There have been some questions as to whether or not he can legally return to Venezuela with pending child support issues. What are the steps to ensure that he doesn’t skip out on taking care of his kids?