Separation/divorce desperate in need for help

Dear shyangel2003:

First, let me say that I understand that you are feeling frustrated with the legal system. Unfortunately, legal expenses exist in every divorce action. My suggestion is first that you obtain a part-time job when you are not watching your daughter’s children and/or place your legal fees on a credit card.

You are probably saying right now “Thanks for that advice!” but the truth is that your life is worth the investment now. Whether that investment is working a part-time job for legal fees or placing your legal fees on a credit card. You will want to retain an attorney and have them file litigation on your behalf requesting post separation support and alimony, along with an interim distribution of some of his assets to help you pay with your legal fees.

Also, please speak with an attorney as soon as possible. You may be able to re-enter the marital residence with a locksmith if he has not forbidden you to do so. Don’t quit working on this situation, but do keep looking for solutions. Best of luck!

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Ms. Fritts, I don’t understand your mention of the locks being changed and the spouse forbidding the other to enter. Can you please elaborate on that? Don’t both spouses have the right to the home if there is no court order telling one spouse to vacate the premises? Thank you in advance.

I was locked out of my home in Oct of 2002 with no place to live and no money after a 9 year marriage. I have called and emailed every resource I can find including legal aide.My husband was the sole provider I only worked part time for 2 years during the marriage.I took care of the house hold, raising his 2 children with my daughter from different marriages.I took care of all the finances.I even helped him remodle his home and improve his land.I was given only my car witch he had just purchised back in July 2002.He is still paying the payments and insurance but ony if I continue to have sex with him on a regular basis.I am still looking for work so I have to have my car.I am sleeping on my daughters couch taking care of her children in order to have a place to sleep and food to eat.I am unable to find any one who can help me.No money,No help!I have been to several free consultaions and talked to legal aide on the phone and I am told by every one of them what I can get including post separation allimony but none of these resources will help me.My husband even filed his taxes for this year as single after he sighned a paper with me saying we will file jointly and split it 50/50.So I am out of that also.His income was $1,000 a week when I was thrown out and could be more now.He also stopped paying on any credit cards in my madian name cards that we used together for the home.I am desperate to find help. we have been separated for 7 months now and it looks like he is going to get away with this.