Seperation agreement


Dear davids585:

Greetings. First, let me be clear on this, YOU NEED AN ATTORNEY. You may need to file a Rule 59/60 motion in response to her motion, since you agreed to pay $25k worth of bills based on the information she provided, but now you know of $80k in bills. Asking the court to not hold you responsible for the fact that you made an agreement based on a false disclosure by her seems reasonable to me.

Next, you need to be able to show what you can pay, what you have paid, etc. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I have a seperation agreemeent from my ex-wife. It states that I would pay for the bills that were incurred while we were still married, including interest, while she would pay for the late fees. The problem is that she is Bi-polar and has a habit of running up numerous bills. While we were married, she had run up aprox. $80,000 in unsecurred bills that were mostly unknown to me. She brought about $25,000 in bills to the mediation hearing. According to the dates, most of these bills were incurred after the date of seperation. The agreement stated that she was to get a final amount of the bills from the creditors and present me with them so that I could make arangements to pay them. Since then I have had no reply from her.

Now she is taking me to court for wilfull contempt of the court order and trying to get me to pay for her lawyer’s fees.

I can’t afford a lawyer again. What do I need to do? What should I take to court with me?

Thank you