Seperation and new baby


Dear kobegrace:

Greetings. Congratulations on your pregnancy. You are asking a question that is outside of our expertise. The hospital can probably enter that. I am assuming though that you would have to use your legal name, which is your marital name. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I am fixing to have a baby and i am also seperated (not legally) I was told not to worry about legal seperation papers because it would be a waste of money beings he said he wouldn’t sign. my question is when i do deliver can i put my maiden name on the birth certificate for the baby instead of our last name?