Dear brokenhrt:

Greetings. First, what are you going to do about support? You need to immediately speak with an attorney, despite what he says, to make sure that you understand your rights and what your future will look like. Right now you are just focusing on the past and what the present holds, but you MUST plan for the future and an attorney can help you ensure that your future will be bright. After you get the advice you need, then you can decide how to proceed in a quick and painless way. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


My husband just left me and I have no idea what to do now. We have two children and have been married for 9 years. He wishes not to use an attorney because he is willing to agree to what I want. I guess my question is do I have to file for seperation first through an attoney or can we just file for divorce ? I want to make this as easy for me and as quick as possible but I have no idea where to start.