Serving divorce papers


In NC, can I serve my husband the papers? or can I enlist a third party to do so? I am doing the divorce myself because I cannot afford an attorney so when I go to the courthouse I am also filing as an indigent and hoping that they accept my plea.


Service must be made by sheriff or certified mail.