Serving papers to a different county

I moved to Johnston county (from Wake) in August and my ex moved to Guilford county (from Wake) in January. I know I file in Johnston County but am unsure how I will go about serving him in Guilford county. Will Johnston county get a sheriff to serve him in Guilford county or will I have to take the papers to the sheriff’s office in Guilford county myself?

I am not an attorney – When I went through this, the sheriff’s office/department at the court house, and they coordinated serving it across county lines.

Check out our DIY Divorce eBook - page 18 talks about service issues, specifically mentioning service across county lines.